Calling "Shotgun" is the act of claiming the front passenger seat of a car for yourself. Since this is the most coveted spot, this list of rules has been created to ensure that Shotgun can be acquired in a fair and equitable manner by any passenger of the automobile (except the driver, of course).
SECTION I: MAKING THE CALL
1. The shotgun caller must be in clear sight of the car (even if the driver isn't).
2. "The Deed" - Any activity that directly precedes the ride eg. stopping for food, visiting a friend, etc. Accepting this concept is important because it establishes a Shotgun-calling time frame that ensures everyone has an equal opportunity to start calling.
3. When simultaneous shotgun is called, a footrace will follow. The first person to touch the passenger door handlebar wins.
4. Shotgun must be called outdoors. If the Deed takes place indoors, the Deed is "done" only after you have left the building in which the Deed took place.
5. Once shotgun has been called for the front seat then back left and back right can be called. This leaves the slowest person to travel in the middle.
6. Anyone calling shotgun must have shoes on. This prevents opportunistic people from running outside and calling shotgun, then having to go back inside - slowing down the journey.
SECTION II: DUTIES AND LOSING THE PRIVILEDGE
7. First and foremost, the shotgunner must be awake for the duration of the journey and to engage the driver in conversation to keep him/her awake.
8. If the shotgunner attempts to open the door just as the driver is unlocking it and jams the lock half open so that the driver needs to unlock again, the shotgunner forfeits their position. This is known as Shotgun Suicide.
9. The shotgunner is responsible for all gate opening, food ordering and question asking. They are in essence the copilots and therefore the enforcer of behavior in the vehicle and exacter of slaps/punches/water spraying/bag throwing at the passengers in the back.
10. The shotgunner is responsible for tending to the driver's text messages. Driver's text messages pertaining to the final destination or that day's plans must take precedent over all of the shotgunner's texts. Any abuse of this power will result in a one-month ban from riding shotgun.
11. The shotgunner does not have the right to correct the driver on their navigation skills ("take a left here, moron!") or driving ability ("I'd be in third gear if I was driving").
12. The driver is, of course, the controller of music. But if they feel the road requires their full attention, duty is passed to the shotgunner. Putting on crap music or allowing for silence when the iPod finishes a song will result in demotion to dreaded back middle seat.
SECTION III: NO CONTEST
13. If the regular driver of the vehicle is drunk or otherwise unable to perform their duties, then they are automatically given shotgun.
14. If one of the backseat passengers is seriously ill (flu or worse) or has had a recent life event that deserves sympathy (eg. pet died, etc.), then this person should be offered shotgun. Known as the "Pity Rule", and can only be used once per illness / event.
15. If passengers are picked up separately and you are the first, you are automatically given shotgun. You retain this position unless you lose it (see Section II) or any other Section III condition is met.
16. If only one person knows the way or has a smartphone with GPS, then they are deemed designated navigator and automatically given Shotgun.
17. If one of the potential occupants of the vehicle is dressed (convincingly) as a pirate then they are given automatic shotgun. In the event of more than one pirate being present, a sword fight shall determine the successful shotgunner. This is known as The Pirate Rule.
18. When traveling with a couple, one of the couple MUST shotgun the front. No one wants to chauffer two of their mates whilst they are in the back all over each other.
SECTION IV: DRIVER POWERS
19. Once shotgun has been called the driver has the option to yell "reload". All previous calls of shotgun are void and the contest restarts. This is helpful when the driver really doesn't like the shotgun winner. *Note that a shotgun has only 2 barrels so a reload can only be called once.
20. The driver may declare "Survival of the Fittest" prior to any shotgun call. The passenger seat will be decided by whoever can take it by force.
SECTION V: CONCLUDING NOTES
21. "Shotgun" overrules Dibs, Baggsies and other inferior terms.
22. If someone asks, "what’s shotgun?" after it has been called then they have to walk, regardless of distance.
Thanks for reading and thank you for your fair and honest participating in Shotgun. Share this with your friends (or better yet, print out this list and keep it in your car) to ensure all rules are followed on your next trip!
Click below to share Share on Facebook 225k Shares
Like us for more!
A 6-Year-Old Loses His Dog. When His Parents Try To Comfort Him, He Says Something They'll Never Forget
Olivia Brindley 8 months ago
84 Illegal Photographs That Urban Climbers Risked Their Lives To Take
Alex Scola 1 week ago
These 14 Places Were Abandoned By People And Are Now Overrun By Animals
Alex Scola 4 weeks ago
34 Panoramic Photos Gone Terrifyingly Wrong
Mark and Jake 2 weeks ago
42 Powerful Moments Of Human Compassion In The Face Of Violence
Mark Pygas 2 days ago
40 Genius Travel Tips That Will Change Your Life Forever
Yosef Lerner 2 months ago
50 Photos Of Actors Behind The Scenes That Will Change How You See Their Movies Forever
Megan McCormick 2 months ago
The 35 Funniest Responses To Ex Texts Of All Time
Huey Berk 2 weeks ago
This Mom Lets Her 4-Year-Old Finish Her Drawings, And The Results Are Hilarious!
Distractify Editors 9 months ago
50 People Who Should Never Be Allowed Near Food Again
Yosef Lerner 4 days ago
52 Powerful Photos Of Women Who Changed History Forever
Mark Pygas 1 week ago
29 Baby Goats That Are Here To Stomp All Over Your Heart
Megan McCormick 5 days ago
20 Scheming Animals Who Are About To Hatch A Dastardly Plan
Averi Clements 3 days ago